Sunday, August 24, 2008

If I knew... I'd have baked a cake

Ovens are preheating all over downtown Waukesha today in preparation for our guests to start rolling and rumbling through town. I just hope nobody is baking a souffle! (It will, no doubt, fall.)

From the large banners being hung across the streets, to the very cute cuddly sign hanging in Cuddles, and newer chrome plated merchandise on display, to the Cutler park theater prep., there is no doubt that we are expecting company.

I'm anticipating the loud arrival to be greeted hospitably. With our warm Waukesha arms wide open as we happily endure the elevated volume, displaced scenery, lingering smells of beer, and anticipated bins (hopefully not streets) filled with an abundance of trash. And for what?

Well, my dear friends, we are glad you are coming, but please don't forget your wallets.

With the emptier look of vacated storefronts and the large, highly anticipated hotel construction project, wouldn't it be grand for this week to boost our downtown economy? After all, why not? We have a beautiful downtown. Really beautiful. With some really great shops, cafes, restaurants, and services.

I say 'get out your money belts' to all you merchants. May our guests enjoy your hospitality and may our community be there to help out as well. I know I will!

No comments: