Saturday, September 6, 2008

and baby makes 10

We are pet people. I always grew up with either dogs or cats. (the staple family pets) My exception, as a kid, was when my little brother got a Guinea pig. Geeez I hated that thing. SQUEAK, SQUEAK, SQUEAK... all night long.

He loved it, which gave me ammo as a kid. 'don't tell mom or I'll hold your pig upside down' (the thought was that that would make the eyes pop out, I never bothered to check the facts about it) The threat worked. But that never changed the fact that my love for pets stops at rodents.
So, when my daughter spent the last year asking, pleading and eventually begging for a Hamster, it was obvious that would not be happening.

I broke.

She did so well in school last year and had been so helpful around the house. I wanted to reward her with, well let's say... a pair of earrings or a special lunch date. OH NOOOO she wanted that hamster. She promised that I would never need to see it. She would feed it, clean the cage, do all of it. FINE!

We went to Petco in Delafield and were introduced to a tan, baby, male hamster. I have to admit, the thing is kind of cute, from a distance.

Two weeks after I bought the young, male hamster... IT BEGAN GIVING BIRTH! Apparently the manager of the place, who was the one who sold us the thing in the first place, didn't lift up her little hamster skirt. Now we have 10 of them.

And the advice Petco gave us, make sure you separate the mom from the babies when she begins to EAT them! OMG!!!


Anyone want a hamster?
A baby male hamster by chance??

No comments: