Tuesday, November 4, 2008

my morning "double shot" latte'

Why is it a double shot of espresso in my latte' this morning? I voted. We've been talking about these candidates for months. We've analyzed their moves, their policies, their beliefs, pasts, finances, families, moralities, health, thoughts, dreams.... and what do we know? Only one thing for sure. Today is the day.

We slip in our ballot and all we have left to do is put on our 'I Voted' sticker, politely say thanks and walk away... with anticipation.
Some anxiety.
Not wondering if we choose the correct candidate, but whether or not the person in line before and after me did.

So, I brewed some extra strong coffee this morning, toasted my english muffin and ... wait.

But I do wonder or at least I questioned. Although I got in line at 6:50 a.m. and was back out in my car by 8 a.m. it took less than a minute to actually cast my ballot. And that was with the assistance of my 7th grader. (I wanted her to experience the 'I voted' responsibility that Americans have) I explained pre-registration, the confirmation of identity, then we looked over the ballot cards. We discussed straight parties and write-ins. All that, plus the machine, the sticker, the cordial 'thanks' and we were still out in minutes. So what in God's good earth did Obama need to do
inside that booth for 15 min.? I can't even imagine what it's like on the south side of Chicago this morning. I do know that I would be looking over my shoulder.

Jake Tapper reports that
Shoesmith Elementary school, the place that Obama went to vote this morning is also the same place that Ayers and Farrakhan also went to cast ballots.

More children are left under the Safe Haven law in Nebraska. These are 16 year old children.

Waukesha Freeman
Some companies are handing out free goodies for election day. This isn't a trick... just a treat.
"Krispy Kreme is giving star-shaped doughnuts with red, white and blue sprinkles to anyone who mentions the promotion, said spokeswoman Ayana Hernandez, but they won't be required to show an "I voted" sticker. "
Krispy Kreme is estimating handing out 200,000 donuts today.

Waukesha County has a history of large voter turnout. In the last election 96% of our residents showed up at the polls. Poll workers are expecting even larger numbers today. The results, however, will not be tallied until after polls close and counting will begin after 8 p.m.

No comments: