Wednesday, October 29, 2008

a good excuse

It is not a secrete that we are a family of animal lovers. Even when we lived in Russia, in our small apartment on the 21st floor we had a German Shepherd. Believe me when I say it's no picnic caring for an animal in a city where you can't find dog food, but we adapted.

Upon our return we went through our fair share of cute little kitties, clumsy adorable puppies, countless tanks with fish, lizards, hermit crabs (that was short lived), frogs, snakes... yes snakes (but for that one we needed a strict agreement... in writing!), hamsters and turtles. I may have forgotten someone in there but you get the jest of it.


We've adopted most of our pets as 'our family'. (there are clear exceptions and all within reason, of coarse) But when we moved to the house we currently live in 5 years ago, I made a new rule that the cats were not allowed in the house. (dang if I know how to get that smell out) I am super sensitive to scents and certainly did not want to deal with that smell any longer.
There is a problem, however, with having the cats out and not in. We are country folk. That means we get the benefits of country life. Including all the rodents that make their way into our home. We've gotten snakes, mice, chipmunks, squirrels, birds, bats... you get the pict.
Oh they are very happy here, don't get me wrong. It's warm and certainly an abundance of food and water compliments of our children, is found in the most unlikely places. But my husband and I, once again, put our foot (the two have become one in this situation) down and say ENOUGH! No more uninvited rodents in the house!
We put out poison. They ate it. They died... somewhere. Oh yeah, did I say 'they'?
Yes there appears to be countless dead rodents stinking up my basement, attic, inner walls in their last efforts to say 'ha, ha, ha. I'm not going with out leaving a calling card'. Can you say GROSS!
So, I know I need to go downstairs and climb on the treadmill or stationary bike to work out but there is absolutely no possible way to get my hesitating toosh motivated to go down there and get cardio. And that is my excuse.
At least I didn't say the dog ate my homework.

No comments: