Friday, October 31, 2008

it's just what i think

About a week ago I finished Helen Fielding's Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination. I was somewhat disappointed with this read. For the length of the book there was too much content. Fielding easily could have expanded any number of the ideas, which she introduced.

  • Terrorism
  • Sudan
  • Drug Smuggling
  • Political Cover ups
  • Al-Qaeda
  • Takfiri

Or even expanded the relationships that were introduced. Instead, although somewhat amusing, it touched slightly on all of the topics without resolve.

This book would be appropriate for the person who wants a 306 pg. quick read without much substance. For a vacation, perhaps. The author, a journalist and novelist, lives in London and that is apparent in her verbiage. On occasion the word choices tripped me up until I resolved them to an English slang.


Next read: William Paul Youngs The Shack. Why?? Last week I heard this book discussed in 3 different circles with comments like:

  • "It is sweeping the Nation"
  • "You mean you haven't heard of it?"
  • and... "Hey what did you think of ..."

I love book discussions so I thought I'd pick it up. On the cover it is exclaimed to be the '#1 New York Times Bestseller' with over 2 million copies in print. I don't really care about all that. Countless times I've found that I tend to like the movies that got 2 thumbs down or books that don't always make, well... anyone's list. So, I'll begin this with just a little more anticipation than some good conversation.

Care to join me?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should try reading with the book with your husband. Great way to spend some time together!

Anonymous said...

Read a book with your husband? Great way to spend some time together! That would go over like a fart in church.

What is the book about?

Blog Host said...

Oh my gosh. You two crack me up!

I actually don't mind reading with my husband. The only problem is that I can stay up for hours reading while he is sound asleep.

That will probably change this week though because my schedule is changing... earlier hours.

We'll see. We don't usually choose the same types of books. This book feels like something neither one of us would normally choose.
I'll keep you informed. LOL

Anonymous said...

While some people have problems with the book (it's not a theological text!!) I enjoyed it.

The part about judgment was especially good. Who is wise enough to judge?

Blog Host said...

@ Van
Hey Van!
I regret to say I'm only in the 3rd chapter so far. He seems overwritten but I won't judge too harshly until I've finished. It looks like it will get intense.

Hey, you WERE in one of the circles of people talking about it 2 weeks ago, weren't you???

I'll try to get through it all soon.